Transportation officials from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority say they would not allow trains from Amtrak to New York City to travel through their system, citing safety concerns.
The announcement comes a day after the New York-New Orleans Expressway Authority agreed to allow trains on the Northeast Corridor line from New York to New Jersey to use the line after being told of the train attacks on the New Orleans subway.
The announcement from the MTA follows a day of negotiations over the use of the Northeast corridor in New York.
It follows the announcement last week that the Northeast route was to be extended by two weeks through March 19, in order to allow for a train to travel between New York and Boston.
The extended train route has been pushed back from the original timetable.
The MTA is a federally funded transportation agency, funded by federal and state tax dollars.
The Metropolitan Transportation Board is a group of public-sector officials that is charged with providing oversight to the agency.
The group has not announced an alternative timetable for the Northeast track extension.
In its announcement Friday, the MTA said that it had received assurances that the extended train service will not result in significant disruptions to traffic and other services.
The agency also said that the decision to not allow the trains to travel was based on the safety concerns raised by the New Yorkers, and that the agency will be taking the necessary steps to ensure that the safety of all travelers is maintained.
“The MTA is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of its riders, and to ensuring that the public service remains the most effective tool for addressing the pressing needs of our nation’s communities,” the MTA statement said.
“We look forward to working with the New Yorker leadership to further this important partnership in the months ahead.”